Rochester, NY—March 21, 2023—The CGI Rochester International Jazz Festival producers Marc Iacona and John Nugent today announced the lineup for the Festival's nine-day 20th Anniversary Edition to be held from June 23 to July 1 in 19 venues in downtown Rochester, New York.
The CGI Rochester International Jazz Festival is presented in three series – Headliner, Free Shows & Club Pass. A record 210,000 people attended the 2022 Festival.
"In a blink of an eye, we find ourselves producing our 20th Jazz Festival," said Marc Iacona, Producer and Executive Director. "Sustaining an event of this magnitude has been realized thanks to hundreds of thousands of appreciative fans, talented musicians, overwhelming community support, collaborative corporate and government sponsorship support, and an enthusiastic team that goes above and beyond every June to make this Jazz Fest succeed. We are so appreciative of them all. We are committed to presenting a unique combination of Grammy Award-winning musicians for our Headliner Series, Club Pass Series, and free concerts. The power of the unity, community, and positive energy created during these nine days is second to none! We are blessed to be able to celebrate these memorable two decades and focus on “Jazz in June” for many years to come!”
“As we celebrate our milestone 20th Anniversary Festival, we are honored and fortunate to have presented thousands of amazing performances in Rochester since our festival's inception in 2002," said John Nugent, Producer and Artistic Director. "It’s been an amazing run and only gets better from here! Having received well over 1000 submissions to consider from artists around the world, we’re humbled that so many groups wish to perform for our fabulous audiences. From emerging artists to iconic music legends, our stages will once again celebrate some of the finest creative improvised music from around the world. We’ll see YOU on Jazz Street!"
More than 100 free shows and events will be presented on nine free stages including:
- 49 shows on the City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage presented by the Community Foundation
- 16 free shows in the new Wegmans Pavilion on East at Chestnut
- Squeezers Nightly Jam Sessions presented by the DiMarco Group at the Hyatt Regency Rochester
- Nightly 6 PM shows in the Rochester Regional Health Tent
- 8 shows on the Wegmans Stage at Parcel 5
- 5 Jazz Workshops for music students sponsored by Wegmans and led by artists performing at the Festival sponsored by Wegmans led by artists performing at the Festival
- 5 Noon concerts in the Rochester Monroe County Central Library
- 2 shows on the City of Rochester Stage at East & Chestnut
- Scholarship concert at Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre
Ticketed Headliner Shows return to Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre this year.
5 Free Headliner Shows
This year, five free headliner shows will be presented on outdoor stages.
Thanks to an increased level of sponsorship from Wegmans, the Festival is able to present four nights, with two shows each night, of free headliner shows on the Wegmans Stage @ Parcel 5. Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue will close out the Festival, marking their eighth appearance at RIJF.
Deanna Percassi, Vice President of Community Engagement and Communications said, "At Wegmans, we believe communities thrive when we all work together. The Jazz Fest is a perfect example of community collaboration uplifting our local community. We are so proud to have supported it from its inception. Congratulations to Marc and John on 20 years!"
Wegmans Stage @ Parcel 5
- June 28 - Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers - 9 PM
- June 29 - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes - 9 PM
- June 30 - Artimus Pyle Band Celebrating Lynyrd Skynyrd - 9 PM
- July 1 - Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue - 9 PM
And, on the City of Rochester Stage at East Ave and Chestnut, we will feature two shows on June 24. No tickets are required.
- June 24 - St Paul & The Broken Bones - 9 PM
Club Pass Series
The Festival's signature Club Pass Series will present 192 shows in 11 venues. Enjoy unlimited access with a 3 or 9-Day Club Pass, or $30, $35 (Kilbourn Hall) cash at the door. No advance tickets are sold for individual Club Pass shows. Passes are shareable and transferable.
Be sure to catch these producers' picks and rising stars including Samara Joy, Gabrielle Cavassa, The Baylor Project, Camille Thurman w/ Darrell Green Quartet, NYChillharmonic, Joe Robinson, Joey Alexander Trio, Glen David Andrews, Kenny Werner & Gregoire Maret Celebrating Toots Thielemans, and Tia Fuller Quintet.
New this year, 3-Day Student Club Passes will be offered for students ages 25 and under at $174 + $6 service charge – 31% off the price of a regular 3-Day Pass. They will be available for purchase in person only starting June 19 at the Ticket Shop. Student ID required. See Club Pass Info for details.
Venues include Hatch Recital Hall, Hyatt Ballroom, Kilbourn Hall, Glory House International, Little Theatre, Max of Eastman Place, Montage Music Hall, Rochester Regional Health Big Tent, Temple Building Theater, Theater at Innovation Square, and the Wilder Room.
Club Passes are on sale now at RochesterJazz.com.
- 3-Day Club Passes are $254 plus $6 service charge. Use any 3 days during the Festival.
- 9-Day Club Passes are $294 plus $6 service charge. Club Passes offer big savings off individual entry cover charges of $35 for Kilbourn Hall and $30 at all other Club Pass venues.
- 3-Day Student Club Passes for students ages 25 and under are $174 + $6 service charge – 31% off the price of a regular 3-Day Pass. Purchase in person only starting June 19 at the Ticket Shop. Student ID required.
- The RIJF Official Ticket / Information Shop Opens Monday, June 12 at 100 East Avenue at the corner of Gibbs Street in Rochester, New York. See dates and hours at Rochesterjazz.com.
- The double-decker McCarthy Merchandise Tent moves back to Jazz Street (Gibbs St.)
- The free 2023 RIJF Official Festival App powered by Harris Beach PLLC, will be available for download in early May.
- Musicians will travel to the Festival from 17 countries including the USA – Australia, Benin (West Africa), Canada, Cuba, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, Mozambique, Norway, Scotland, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- The RIJF / Eastman School of Music annual jazz scholarship presentation/concert Celebrating Chick Corea with the Eastman School of Music Jazz Ensemble, is free and will be held at Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre. The program has awarded almost $500,000 in scholarships since 2002.
- Hundreds of young musicians from area schools and Eastman Community Music School will again grace the Jazz Street stage with their talent.
- The Save Time in Line numbering system returns to save people time from waiting in lines for early shows at Kilbourn Hall and Max of Eastman Place.
2023 Full Lineup
78 RPM Big Band, Airmen of Note, Akiko Tsuruga Organ Group, Al Chez & the Brothers of Funk, Albino Mbie, Alexi Tuomarila Quartet, All in Brass Band, American Patchwork Quartet, Artimus Pyle Band Celebrating Lynyrd Skynyrd, Atlas Band, B.D. Lenz Group, Bassel & the Supernaturals, Big Lazy, Bill Frisell Trio, Bill Goodwin Trio, Bill Tiberio Band, Blue Moon Marquee, Bonnie Raitt: Just Like That…Tour 2023, Brockport Big Band, Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers, Camille Thurman with Darrel Green Quartet, Catherine Russell, Celebrating Toots Thielemans With Kenny Werner & Gregoire Maret, Chris Lewis & the Jon Ballantyne Trio, Chris Minh Doky All Stars, Chris Whiteman Trio, Christian Sands, Christian Sands Trio, Corner House, Cory Weeds Quartet, Curtis Stigers, Damon Fowler, Dave Restivo Trio + Christine Jensen, David Hazeltine, David Hazeltine Quartet, Dawn Thomson & Gary Versace, Deanna Witkowski Plays Mary Lou Williams, Dear Marian: Laura Dubin Trio Plays Marian McPartland, Diana Herold & Helium, Doc Robinson, Durham County Poets, Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra w/ Herb Smith, Eastman Community Music School (ECMS) Faculty w/ Special Guest Vocalists!, ECMS Jazz Alumni, ECMS Jazz Combos Directed by Bob Sneider, Eddie 9v, Eldorado Slim Featuring Scott Sharrard of Little Feat, Emilie-Claire Barlow, Erez Aviram Ensemble, Eri Yamamoto & Bruce Barth, Eastman School of Music-RIJF, Fred Costello, Gabrielle Cavassa, Gate Swingers Big Band, Glen David Andrews, Greece Jazz Band, Harold Danko, Harry Allen Trio, Helen Sung Quartet+, Helen Sung Solo, High School Jazz Bands, Houston Person & Eric Person, Houston Person & Eric Person "Person2Person," iGNiTE, Joe Beard Band, Joe Robinson, Joel Frahm Trio, Joey Alexander Trio, Joona Toivanen Jazz & Flyfishing, Jonatavious Willis, Juliet Lloyd, Keb' Mo', Kurt Rosenwinkel Quartet, Latriste Fulton & The Frequencies, Lionel Loueke & Gretchen Parlato, Los Angeles Jazz Orchestra, Luis Deniz Quartet, Mambo Kings, Marc Broussard, Mark Guiliana Quartet, Mark Kelso & the Jazz Exiles, Matthew Whitaker, Melody Masters Big Band, Mike Kaupa's Ecms Ensembles! Saturday Ensemble & Junior Jazz, Miss Tess, Ms. Lisa Fischer w/ Taylor Eigsti, Music Educators Big Band, Nancy Kelly, Nathan Paul & the Admirables, Nduduzo Makhathini, Neil Swainson Trio, Nellie McKay, New Horizons Big Band Directed by Priscilla Todd Brown, New Horizons Jazz Band Directed by Don Sherman, Nick Finzer Sextet, NYChillharmonic, Oddgeir Berg Trio, Okan, Olli Hirvonen Group, Omara Portuondo "Vida," Pat Metheny Side-Eye, Pedrito Martinez, Penfield Big Band, Peter Johnstone & Tommy Smith, Phylicia Rae Sealy, Ralph Alessi & This Against That, Rich Thompson Trio, Richie Goods & Chien Chien "Connected," Rochester Metro Jazz Orchestra, Samara Joy, Soul Stew, Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes, St Paul & the Broken Bones, Steve Smith & Vital Information, Syndicate Jazz Octet, Tatiana Eva-Marie, The Baylor Project, The Bossa Nova Wave Diego Figueiredo + Ken Peplowski, The Buddhahood, The Clements Brothers, Tia Fuller Quintet, Tom Guarna Trio, Tommy Gearhart, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Twisted Pine, USP, VickiKristinaBarcelona, Victoria Victoria w/Charlie Hunter, Vince Ercolamento & Friends, Vincent Peirani, Violet Mary
School Jazz Bands
Bloomfield High School Jazz Band
Brighton High School Jazz Band
Brockport High School Jazz Band
Canandaigua High School Jazz Band
CSC Music Jazz Band
Eastridge High School Jazz Band
Fairport High School Jazz Band
Gates Chili High School Jazz Band
Greece Arcadia High School Jazz Band
Greece Athena High School Jazz Band
HFL High School Jazz Band
Hilton High School Jazz Band
Joey Stempien College Big Band
Palmyra-Macedon High School Jazz Band
Penfield High School Jazz Band
Pittsford Mendon High School Jazz Band
Pittsford Sutherland High School Jazz Band
School of the Arts Jazz Band
Spencerport High School Jazz Band
Victor High School Jazz Band
Webster Schroeder High School Jazz Band
West Irondequoit High School Jazz Band