14th Edition of Xerox Rochester International Jazz Fest Starts Friday
June 15, 2015
9 Days, 1500+ Artists, 320 Concerts, 19 Venues, 90+ Free Shows, Kids Workshops, Nightly Jams & More!
ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- June 15, 2015 -- The 14th Edition of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (XRIJF) starts Friday, June 19 through Saturday, June 27 featuring nine days of more than 320 shows including 90+ free concerts, at 19 venues with 1500+ artists.
The festival is presented in three series, Headliner (Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre), Club Pass Series (13 venues) and Free Shows (5 outdoor stages).
Artists performing at XRIJF this year will come from 18 countries and the US, including Canada, Aruba, Cuba, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, England, Scotland, France, Mali, Israel, Netherlands and Poland.
The festival's popular Made in the UK series is now in its eighth year and remains the largest presentation of British jazz outside the UK. Nordic Jazz Now, which originated at XRIJF, will celebrate its ninth year at the festival.
Headlining at this year's fest are Diana Krall (8PM show sold out, 4PM tickets available), Jennifer Hudson (sold out), Gary Clark Jr. plus Beth Hart (sold out), Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue back for their fifth appearance at XRIJF (free), Wheels of Soul Summer Tour 2015 featuring Tedeschi Trucks Band plus Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings (sold out), Herb Alpert and Lani Hall, Steep Canyon Rangers, Steve Gadd Band with a special surprise guest (sold out).
Other artists include Stanley Clarke, Antonio Sanchez, Kenny Werner, Fred Hersch, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Arstidir, Peter Rowan, Saxofour, Wood Brothers, Bill Charlap, Grace Kelly, Kurt Rosenwinkel, 11-year old Indonesian piano prodigy Joey Alexander, The Mavericks, Blood Sweat and Tears with Bo Bice, Los Lonely Boys and many more.
Headliner Tickets (Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre) can be purchased:
- Online at http://www.rochesterJazz.com
- XRIJF Ticket Shop at corner of East Ave and Gibbs St.
Call (585) 454-2060.
- At the door if not sold out. Box office opens one hour prior to shows.The service charge/facility fee per headliner ticket is $8 for phone and online orders, $10 if tickets are mailed.
Fri, June 19: Diana Krall 4PM
Sat, June 20: Herb Alpert & Lani Hall
Sat, June 27: Steep Canyon Rangers
Club Pass Series Shows
- Purchase a Club Pass at http://www.Rochesterjazz.com for $194 plus service charge. Allows access to all Club Pass Series shows at 13 venues for all 9 days.
- Or, enter for $20 ($25 Kilbourn Hall) at the door, cash only, no advance sales.
- No reserved seating. First-come, first-served for everyone with Club Pass or single entry.
FREE Trolley Shuttle Service Offered -- All 9 Days 3:00 PM-Midnight. Courtesy of Harris Beach PLLC. Look for the shuttle stop signs. See stop locations and how to get around the fest at RochesterJazz.com.
Two New Club Pass Venues
* Squeezers Roots & Americana Stage at the Sibley Building - Featuring two shows nightly at 7:30 and 9:30PM, this new venue with views of Main Street will be located on the second floor and seats about 400.
* Lyric Theatre at 440 East Ave - a 1000-capacity intimate acoustic-only solo concert venue will feature one show daily from 4-5PM Sunday, June 21 through Thursday, June 25.
Harro East Ballroom Club Pass Venue will be open for two additional nights this year with two shows nightly all nine days.
Rochester Regional Health Big Tent 6PM shows are FREE. 8 and 10PM shows are $20 at the door or access with Club Pass.
Jam Sessions Nightly - from 10:30PM until...at the Rochester Plaza Hotel State Street Grill, 70 State Street. You never know who will show up to play!
New Official App - for iPhone and Android smartphones is free and available now
Four Shows Taped for National Broadcast on PBS Stations
Concerts being taped are Benny GreenTrio, Tessa Souter, Antonio Sanchez & Migration and Clifton Anderson Quintet. This marks the 7th season that WXXI has taped Concerts at the festival. Previous series have been seen by more than 3 million viewers.
Prime Time Special Airs June 17 on 13WHAM (ABC) 8:30 - 9 PM - Doug Emblidge and Adam Chodak will host a preview of this year's festival, visiting some of the venues and talking to headliners.
Official Poster Signing is June 25 - Award-winning illustrator and animator, David Cowles will sign the official XRIJF poster he created in the Merchandise Tent on Thursday, June 25 from 6:30-8PM. $20 per poster.
Jazz Workshops for Young Music Students - June 22-26 - Series of five structured jazz workshops for grade school and high school music students is sponsored by Wegmans, hosted by Bob Sneider, Eastman School of Music Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies and Contemporary Media and Senior Instructor of Jazz Guitar, and led by visiting musicians performing at XRIJF.