Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival Wraps Up 12th Edition with Another Attendance Record, 9 Days of Amazing Music, 1200 Artists, 300+ Shows -- Next Year's Dates Announced - June 20-28, 2014
July 9, 2013
Rochester, NY --July 1, 2013 --The Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (XRIJF) wrapped up its 12th edition delivering nine days of joy and inspiration, a record number of concerts and artists, and an 11th consecutive attendance record.
More than 195,000 people attended the festival June 21-29, which presented more than 300 concerts at 19 venues and 1200 artists from 17 countries including the U.S., Canada, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Israel, Portugal, Cuba, England, Scotland, Hungary, Switzerland, Jamaica, South Korea, India, and France.
"Witnessing XRIJF come to fruition with so many people having such a great time is what it's all about for this producer," said John Nugent, the festival's founder, Producer and Artistic Director. "On behalf of Marc Iacona and our entire Jazz festival team, I want to personally say thank you to Rochester for all the love and support, for sharing your energy and welcoming so many musicians to our great city."
"I am overwhelmed with the positive response from our community," said Marc Iacona, Producer and Executive Director. "We have a great sponsor family and a great team in place to produce this festival every year. We're on cloud nine, the numbers have grown, the music was great across the board, and we were pleased to bring so many different genres of jazz to so many people. We have become a major destination for people over the world to participate and listen. Now onto 2014! Our plans are already underway!"
Trombone Shorty, here for his fourth performance at XRIJF, said in an interview with 13WHAM (ABC) TV, "It's such a beautiful place and it's one of the great festivals we have here in America. I remember leaving here last year and saying this is the best gig we played all year. It's something we have never experienced."
2014 Dates Announced
Next year's 13th great edition will be June 20-28, 2014.
Musical highlights and more in 2013:
- The first free show on the first night on Chestnut St and East Ave stage featuring Dr. John and the Nite Trippers, sponsored by Wegmans.
- Artists from a record number of countries, 17 including the U.S.
- Six shows at Kilbourn Hall taped live by WXXI TV for national distribution on PBS television stations: Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio, Gretchen Parlato, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, Gregory Porter, Louis Armstrong Society Jazz Band and a compilation show.
- The 6th year for the Made in the UK Series, the largest presentation of jazz by UK artists outside the UK.
- A new venue, The Little Theatre, was added to the Club Pass Series.
- A record 81 free shows on four stages.
- Two headliner shows sold out, Willie Nelson and David Sanborn, Bob James with special guest, Steve Gadd. This was also the debut appearance at XRIJF for Gadd, a Rochester native and Eastman School of Music grad.
- Two scholarships were awarded by the festival this year to Rochester high school seniors who will enter Eastman School in the fall. To date more than 30 scholarships have been awarded since 2002.
- A new free series of five kids workshops was held this year thanks to Wegmans, featuring visiting artists from the UK and hosted by Bob Sneider, Eastman School of Music Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies. Almost 120 young music students participated.
- A record 21 regional high school jazz bands, and several Eastman Community Music School Honors Units and groups had an opportunity to perform.
- Xerox presented its popular Be Moved series of activities this year including the 360-degree JazzCam
- The first ever retrospective photo exhibit was held at the High Falls Art Gallery featuring more than 200 images taken at the fest from 2002 - 2012 by 13 photographers.
- The festival added an App for Android this year in addition to the App introduced last year for iPhones.
About the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (XRIJF)
The nine-day Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival presented by M&T Bank was founded in 2002 and is produced by John Nugent, Artistic Director and Marc Iacona, Executive Director. This year's 12th Edition, June 21-29, was presented in three series - Club Pass, Headliner and Free Shows - and featured a diverse and eclectic performance roster of 1,200-plus artists performing in more than 300 concerts including 81 free shows at 19 venues. The 13th Edition will be held June 20-28, 2014.
- See more at: http://rochesterjazz.com/enewsletter/?email_blast_id=267&option=view_entry#sthash.wfaX3y1O.dpuf