Be Moved! Music, Art, Health Info, and More at the Fest!f
June 13, 2013
Rochester, NY--June 13, 2013-- There's a lot going on at this year's 12th Edition Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival in addition to more than 300 concerts and 1200 artists from around the world! Here's what happening!
13WHAM TV Jazz Fest Special - Wednesday June 19, 8:00-8:30 PM (Note new time!)
Don't miss this year's preview of XRIJF's 12th Edition hosted by Doug Emblidge and Adam Chodak, Wednesday June 19th from 8:00-8:30 PM on 13WHAM TV. See the 13WHAM Jazz Lounge for full festival coverage. Portions of show were taped at the Snaps Photo Exhibit. Watch for interviews with artists and with producers John Nugent and Marc Iacona.
The Most Moving Experience Enhancer! Xerox Be Moved JazzCam
All nine days - 5-10 PM | In the parking lot at the corner of Chestnut St. and East Ave.
- See a preview: http://360.bigfreeze.com/jazz-fest/ You've seen it on TV at the Grammy's! Now festival goers can experience it and be the stars at XRIJF! Xerox's most moving experience enhancer is this year's photo opportunity: the Be Moved JazzCam. Stand in the center of a 20-foot array consisting of 48 cameras, and have your picture is taken from all angles with a push of a button and displayed as a single, 360 degree motion photo experience. Post, tweet or email the image and pick it up a print on your way out for a small donation to the Jazz Scholarship Fund.
- Visit the Xerox House of Grooves - All nine days | Merchandise Tent
As the festival's title sponsor, Xerox is helping festival-goers explore the emotional side of music and Be Moved. How, you ask?
- A free smartphone app developed exclusively for this year's festival uses augmented reality to bring the Be Moved artwork to life and unlock a wealth of added experience, including the full lineup of shows, song samples from festival artists and more.
- Plus, scanning each of the six Be Moved posters unlocks a unique badge. Once you collect all six, you can visit the Xerox House of Grooves and enter a drawing for Club Passes to the 2014 festival.
- You'll also find a free listening station to hear music samples from festival artists sorted by the emotions they may inspire. You'll also see Xerox's expert Jazzologists throughout the festival grounds to provide guidance and answer any questions you may have.
Wegmans Presents Chalk Artist Who Will Create Her Magic on East Ave!
Friday June 21 - Dr. John Concert | Sampling - June 21, 22, 28, 29
- Wegmans has all kinds of great things planned at the festival this year! The biggest is the free opening night concert June 21 featuring Dr. John and the Nite Trippers on the Wegmans East Ave and Chestnut Street Stage at 9PM. on opening night Friday June 21.
- Popular chalk artist, Tatyana Samodurov (Tia), will be doing a live ten foot square drawing on the street, also on Friday June 21.
- Need an XRIJF Brochure? Pick one up at any Rochester area Wegmans Store at the service desk.
- In the Wegmans tent on East Ave on East Ave free show days they will be sampling! And offering the opportunity to win gift cards to Wegmans new Amore restaurant.
Wegmans Sponsoring 5 Days of Free Jazz Workshops for Aspiring Young Music Students
June 22, 23, 27, 28, 29 | 1:00-2:30 PM. | 26 Gibbs Street
This new series of five structured jazz workshops sponsored by Wegmans, is hosted by Bob Sneider, Eastman School of Music Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies and Contemporary Media and Senior Instructor of Jazz Guitar, and led by five visiting international musicians performing at XRIJF. An expansion of past years' popular kids jams, aspiring students will be able to play and have the exceptional opportunity to meet, listen to and learn from professional jazz musicians from overseas. In keeping with our international festival focus, all five clinicians are based in the United Kingdom and will be performing in the festival's Made in the UK Series. No registration required. Just show up! Attend one or more days.
Get the Latest Health Information at the Rochester General Booth on Jazz Street
All nine days - 5 - 10 PM | Jazz Street
In addition to providing First Aid for the fest in the tent outside the Merchandise Tent, Rochester General Health System will be providing health information on orthopaedics, PT, women's health, GI, endocrinology, diabetes, allergy, cardiology, bariatrics, respiratory, pediatrics, diagnostic imaging and career opportunities at its booth on jazz street staffed by RGHS team members from many departments and clinical services.
REF Collecting Unused Instruments at the Festival for City School Students
All nine days - 5-8 p.m. | Merchandise Tent
Rochester Education Foundation will once again collect musical instruments and accessories (music stands, guitar strings, and musical instruction books, etc.) at their booth donated by presenting sponsor M&T Bank and located in the Merchandise Tent. Please help City of Rochester students experience the joy of instrumental music!
Watch Sketch Artist Philip Burke Paint Image of Drummer Jack DeJohnette Live on Golf Ball
Monday June 24, 4:30 - 7:30 p.m. | Patio of Max at Eastman Place on East Main St.
Nationally acclaimed caricature artist, Philip Burke, will create the caricature of Grammy award winning musician/drummer Jack DeJohnette LIVE. DeJohnette will be there to sign the finished creation. Philip Burke is best known for his 30+ years of caricatures in Rolling Stone magazine as well Golf Digest, Vibe, Entertainment Weekly, and many others! The painting is part of the Golf Balls on Parade project celebrating the 95th PGA Championship at Oak Hill Country Club in August.
Relax in the Conceptual Garden Outside the Unity Health System Big Tent
All nine days
Once again Pietro Furgiuele, President/Principal of Designer Waterford Tilling will transform the parking lot outside the Big Tent into an inviting place to meet friends and relax before the next show.
Snaps Photo Exhibit XRIJF from 2002-2012
Now through June 30 | Center at High Falls Gallery
The first ever exhibit of retrospective images from XRIJF is open at the Center at High Falls Art Gallery. See 200 select works of 13 photographers who have covered the festival from 2002 to 2012. The show is free and includes works of Frank DeBlase, Jim Dolan, Mark Druziak, Tom Flint, Tom Frizelle, Tim Fuss, Garry Geer, Kelli Marsh, Peter Parts, Michael Riebesehl, Fred SanFilipo, Don Ver Ploeg and Kelley Yost.
About the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (XRIJF)
The nine-day Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival presented by M&T Bank was founded in 2002 and is produced by John Nugent, Artistic Director and Marc Iacona, Executive Director. This year's 12th Edition, June 21-29, will feature a diverse and eclectic performance roster of 1,200-plus artists performing in more than 300 concerts including 81 free shows at 19 venues. The 2012 Festival drew more than 187,000 music lovers to hear some of the finest artists in the world perform.